AIR is seeking an Early Childhood Education Advisor for a five year, USAID-funded Reading Project in Zambia. “Let’s Read, Zambia” will target approximately 1.4 million students in 4,000 public and community primary schools, including Early Childhood Centers that are clustered in an estimated 400 zones in 48 districts in the provinces of Lusaka, Southern, Muchinga, Eastern, and Northwestern. The project will ensure that students attending Grades 1, 2, and 3 in Zambian public and community schools in the five targeted provinces have an opportunity to learn to read grade level text with comprehension and to write at grade level in one of the seven local official languages of instruction: Cinyanja, Chitonga, Icibemba, Kiikaonde, Lunda, Luvale and Silozi after three years of primary schooling in Grades 1-3.
The Early Childhood Education Advisor will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of ECE activities on the program. This will include:
• Provide technical programming, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation support to country offices with ECE programming for children from birth to eight years
• Develop, adapt, test, and refine ECE products based on needs of the project
• Lead the ECE team in the development of a pre-primary curriculum with teacher guide, daily lessons, formative assessment tools, and supplemental materials based on country experience and the global strategy
• Use evidence to drive activity design and improvement and develop innovations
• Monitor new developments in ECE and participate in promoting the application of best practices
• Collaborate on the adaptation and implementation of the MELQO assessment tool and other appropriate early literacy assessment tools
Eligibility: Zambian nationals are encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent on funding.